Harare, April 5, 2025 — Former Member of Parliament and economist Edward G. Cross has issued a formal apology and retraction following controversial remarks made during a televised interview with South Africa’s Newzroom. Cross had previously alleged that widespread corruption in Zimbabwe, including involvement by the President’s family, was a major cause of recent mass protests.

In a press statement dated April 5, 2025, Cross explained that during the March 31 interview, he cited dissatisfaction with deep-rooted corruption as one of the key drivers behind a national “stay away” protest. He further implicated members of the President’s family, stating they were involved in corrupt practices.

However, following the interview, Cross sought a meeting with the President to clarify his remarks. “I recognised that I should not have involved his family, and I apologized unreservedly,” said Cross in the statement. The President reportedly expressed concern over the allegations and requested evidence. Cross agreed to compile a dossier detailing the issues he alluded to.

On a follow-up visit to State House, Cross met with three individuals he had previously mentioned in connection with the corruption allegations. He admitted he could not provide concrete evidence to support the claims. “I outlined what I was hearing but could not provide firm evidence… I again apologized and said I would withdraw my statement on this matter,” Cross wrote.

The retraction comes amid increasing political sensitivity in Zimbabwe, where public dissent and claims of high-level corruption often attract significant scrutiny. Cross’s initial remarks had sparked widespread debate, with many awaiting official responses from the government.

Edward Cross has previously served as an advisor on economic reform and is known for his outspoken views on governance and policy.